SharedIron supports shared mailboxes so you can collaborate with your colleagues. This is useful if your company has a general mailbox lik info@... and this mailbox should be managed by several employees.
Sharing a mailbox is a two way process. First the mailbox owner shares his mailbox or certain folders using IMAP ACL commands to other users, then other users subscribe to the shared mailbox or folder involved. Although this sounds a bit technical e-mail clients that support IMAP ACL commands or subscriptions will present this in a user friendly manner to the enduser. Most major e-mail clients support subscribing to shared mailboxes. Unfortunately the majority of e-mail clients don't natively support the needed IMAP ACL commands for sharing mailboxes. In some cases the can be extended using add-ons. Our webmail client does support IMAP ACL commands and thus can share mailboxes.
Mailboxes can only be shared between users of the same domain.
Sharing a mailbox
Sharing mail using SharedIron webmail
- After logging in on SharedIron webmail, select "Manage Folders" from the the gear wheel menu in the bottom left corner of the Folders pane
- Select the folder you would like to share, for instance "Inbox"
- Select the "Sharing" tab from the "Folder properties" pane
- Add a user to the folder using the "+" button in the bottom left corner of the "Identifier" pane
- Use the username or full e-mail address of the user as the identifier and assign the needed Access Rights
Sharing mail using Mozilla Thunderbird
The Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client supports IMAP ACL commands using an add-on. Please refer to the add-on documentation for how to share a mailbox.
Subscribing to a shared mailbox
Subscribing to shared mailboxes using SharedIron webmailAfter logging in on SharedIron webmail, select "Manage Folders" from the the gear wheel menu in the bottom left corner of the Folders pane. The shared mailboxes available to you are listed in the "Folders" pane, check the corresponding select box to subscribe to the shared mailbox.
Subscribing to shared mailboxes using Apple Mail
- Control click on your mailbox and select "Get Account Info"
- Select the "Subscription List" tab
- Select the shared mailbox you want to subscribe to and click "Subscribe" button or check the corresponding select box